A combination of traditional yoga poses, pilates and dance with the use of a hammock, aerial yoga defies gravity and allows you to perform various yoga poses that may be difficult to do on the ground, but easier in mid-air. It’s fun and acrobatic. We welcome all size and ages to come try aerial.
Here are the Top 10 Health Benefits of Aerial Yoga:
- Total body workout: Due to the nature of aerial yoga movements, almost all the body parts are forced to move and stretch. Muscles are toned and redefined, and joints are regenerated and strengthened due to these movements.
- Psychologically beneficial: Just like almost any other workout, aerial yoga helps rebuild your emotional system because it clears the mind and relieves stress due to its meditative state. It also helps you combat stress throughout the day and increases your creativity, which leads you to develop your own artistic skills.
- Improves flexibility: Aerial yoga helps you to move more freely, with less effort, by counteracting gravity. Suspension in the air releases tension on the bones and muscles, increasing flexibility and deepening your practice. Suspended yoga strengthens core muscles and increases spinal and shoulder flexibility.
- Heals back problems: It gives you the chance to hang freely, allowing your spine to lengthen. With less strain on your back while doing the exercises, it eases tension in the spinal cord and hip joint, helping you feel better.
- Increases strength: Aerial yoga improves strength and flexibility, which carries over into other daily activities. The core workout is a beneficial cross-training, as it helps runners increase stamina and be able recover faster.
- Puts you in a great mood: Another key benefit of doing aerial yoga is that it gets your adrenaline going while going against gravity. It also releases “happy” hormones like serotonin, endorphins, oxytocin, dopamine, which boost your mood and help you feel more energetic.
- Improves balance: While going against gravity can be exciting, aerial yoga also helps with balance and stability in daily activities. Balance is a key component in daily activities, and aerial yoga helps maintain a good balance both inside and out.
- Aids digestion: The different types of stretches and movements help improve the digestive system, thus helping in healing various digestion-related issues, including constipation and indigestion.
- Old age and heart disease: Aerial yoga improves the circulation of blood, thus combating aging and its symptoms. Aerial yoga also helps detoxify the circulatory and lymphatic systems, which lowers the onset of various cardiovascular issues.
- Improves memory: Aerial yoga fortifies your neural connections, thereby, rendering better memory power. In a way, practicing aerial yoga can make you smarter!
NOT SAFE FOR: Glaucoma, Heart conditions, Pregnancy, Epilepsy, Traumatic Brain Injury, High Blood Pressure, Vertigo, TIA, Neck or Spinal Injury -- Consult with your Dr if you have medical conditions before starting an Aerial Yoga practice.
What is Aerial Yoga?
Aerial Yoga is the practice of yoga poses incorporating a soft fabric hammock. It is suspended off the ground. The hammock is a prop, just like a strap or block, intended to assist alignment and provide the immediate benefit of spinal decompression. With the weight of the body partially or fully supported along with the help of gravity, we can explore and create space in the body. Without the compression of the joints and spine we can achieve proper posture and alignment.
How do I Prepare for Class?
Do not use hand lotion, wear jewelry, belts, or clothing with grommets, gems, or anything that could potentially snag the fabric. Avoid very baggy clothing and wear a short sleeve shirt as deodorant stains the hammocks.
Please trim your finger and toenails so there are no jagged edges. Avoid eating or drinking acidic liquids an hour prior to class
SBY Aerial Classes
Single drop in rates are $20 per class.
Monthly Aerial 4 for $75 and Sat am will be complimentary.
We also offer aerial as Private $55.
Call to register.
First Flight: Intro to Aerial Yoga LEVEL 1
Students will begin to familiarize themselves with the basics of aerial yoga by using the hammock in a variety of different ways. If you're new to aerial yoga, you'll find yourself quickly gaining confidence as you learn how to safely get into and out of various poses. By slowly-but-surely gaining trust in your own abilities, a First Flight experience at SBY Studio is exactly what you need to begin building the bedrock for an aerial yoga practice. This is a required first class for any student new to aerial yoga.
Of course, it's no mere coincidence that First Flight is our most well-attended class. Because while it focuses primarily on the building blocks of aerial yoga, it also makes for an incredibly fun hour of fitness. Aside from learning how to execute your first aerial flip, for instance, you'll also complete several inversions during a First Flight class. You'll build core and arm strength, and you may even learn a trick or two, all while uncovering a new-found love for aerial yoga.
To be perfectly clear: All students, yogis and non-yogis should begin their aerial journey with a First Flight class workshop. (Some students choose to take the class several times, although you're only required to take it once.) This class is great for students of any fitness or flexibility level.
Creative Aerial Yoga Flow: LEVEL 2
Bring long-lasting joy to your day with this invigorating and mood-boosting aerial yoga class. In Creative Aerial Yoga Flow, you'll begin with a series of aerial sun salutations and then take your practice to flight. This exuberantly lighthearted class incorporates a bit of laughter, a number of fun transitions, and inversions unique enough to delight aerial yogis of all levels of experience and ability.
A uniquely designed class that is both relaxing and energizing. We're certain you'll leave class and head out into the world with a smile and a calm sense of confidence.
You MUST take at least one First Flight: Intro to Aerial Yoga class, and be comfortable with all the basic aerial yoga wraps and poses, before participating in this class. This includes being able to safely and properly get into and out of front- and side-seated open hammock poses, wrist binds, ankle planks, standing in the hammock, hip hangs, and sacrum wraps.
Aerial Fit Level 2
This class will challenge you both on the floor and in the air. Begin with open floor space to strengthen the total body- 20 min floor work…..then transition to the hammock for a variety of inversions and binds…end with final hammock relaxation…. level 2 class $20.
Melanie Heckert- 200 hr Registered Yoga Teacher and 40 hour Aerial Trained at Yoga On York Baltimore Md.
Mary Ann Renzelli-ACE group ex certified, NASM personal trainer certified, 200 hr Registered Yoga Teacher and 40 hour Aerial Trained at Yoga On York Baltimore Md.
Elvira Berry - Yoga Fit certified Level 1, 2 and 40 hour Aerial Trained at Yoga on York Baltimore Md.
Maggie Wright – ACE personal trainer and Pole Instructor Certified. 40 hour Aerial Trained at Yoga On York Baltimore Md.
CALL for more information 304 641 6827